Message info

To:Erik Wilde From:Jan Algermissen Subject:Re: [apps-discuss] [rest-discuss] Re: Feedback on draft-wilde-profile-link-00 Date:Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:12:13 +0200

Hi Erik,

On Apr 12, 2012, at 7:19 AM, Erik Wilde wrote:

> hello jan.
>
> On 2012-04-10 11:58 , Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> Likewise, what does that check for atompub capabilities buy you? The reason you check for them is that you assume they are there in the first place. If that check fails .... then what? You are in exactly the same situation as when you POST you atom entry right away and see what happens.
>
> the idea is to be able to check for the profile URI to see whether a feed i have discovered supports atompub or not. if it does, i might show an "upload" feature in a UI that otherwise i would not show. without the feed advertising its capabilities, i cannot know, and i certainly don't want to create a fake post to test whether atompub is supported or not.

Ok (though I personally would not see a profile as saying something about the resource, but about the payload)

Anyhow - have you considered supporting your use case with the 'service' link relation? The pointed-to service document would tell your UA, what resource are app-collections.

(BTW, seems the registry is broken there, because service cites atompub as its spec - which it is not).

Jan