Message info

To:Arch Linux projects development discussion From:Dan McGee Subject:Re: [arch-projects] netcfg release rfc Date:Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:00:01 -0500

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 18:43, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this mean that the old config will stop working?
>> Without a deprecation notice, this is going to screw a lot of people
>> over, if it has been removed. Especially since WIRED_INTERFACE
>> couldn't even be read from both files in the 2.7.x version (commit
>> 9564b6c66), you need a migration period for this.
>
> This should have been fixed since, isn't it?
> The commit you refer to seems to include both configuration files?

Yes, it appears to be fixed now- my point was up until your new
release here, I was *required* to define it in rc.conf, so if you had
removed the ability to set this in rc.conf, there would have been no
migration path which is unacceptable when it comes to something
critical like networking. But as you said in your reply to Tom, it
appears that rc.conf-based config variables still work, so I have
nothing to worry about yet.

-Dan