Message info

To:python-list@python.org From:Terry Reedy Subject:Re: Unittest2 on python 2.6 Date:Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:46:39 -0400

On 3/18/2012 9:31 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Suppose we want to use the unittest from Python 2.7, but also want to
> support Python 2.6,
> what is the best way to do it?
>
> The solution used now is to have in setup.py
>
> if sys.version < '2.7':
> tests_require.append('unittest2')
>
> and then in every test file
>
> try:
> import unittest2 as unittest
> except ImportError:
> import unittest
>
> and it should work just fine, but it's a bit verbose to have this
> try/except dance everywhere..
> Any ideas?

1. If the difference between unittest and unittest2 is strictly a matter
of deletions and addition, replace unittest with the union of the two.

2. Put the try/except dance in a compat file. Then everywhere else 'from
compat import unittest'. This idea is one of those used to write code
that will run on both 2.x and 3.x

--
Terry Jan Reedy