Message info

To:azores@googlegroups.com From:joao ventura Subject:Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Norte Grande - impressions Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:13:59 -0800 (PST)

The main reason for doing the genealogy of the whole village is trying to find leads on further research. Santo Amaro is a village where the marriage records don't go far back. Eventually in the applications to priesthood and dispensations some leads will be found.

I have the same information for that couple. Actually it is noticeable the couples that emigrate to Brazil in the middle of the 1700's: there is no further information on the couple or their children.

 Joo Ventura
 Terceira

From: Joao S. Lopes <josimo70@yahoo.com.br>
To: "azores@googlegroups.com" <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Norte Grande - impressions

I have ancestors in Norte Grande, but unfortunately I could'nt find many generations back in time. The family is PEREIRA DA LUZ, they came from Santo Amaro, where the records pre-1700 are lost. Another line was the couple Joao Machado de Souza and Ana de Sao Pedro, parents of Andre Jacinto (b. 30-11-1732), my ancestos, Loureno Machado (7-oct-1737), Manuel (6-may-1741) and Manuel (19-aug-1845). Ana de Sao Pedro died in Brazil. Unfortunately, I could'nt pick more information because he has too common surnames, and she has a devotional name.

Joao S.Lopes
Rio de Janeiro

De: joao ventura <heroi99@yahoo.com>
Para: azores genealogy list <azores@googlegroups.com>
Enviadas: Domingo, 19 de Fevereiro de 2012 15:16
Assunto: [AZORES-Genealogy] Norte Grande - impressions

After finishing the genealogy of Norte Grande, there are some impressions of the village that I would like to share with the list.

 There are two independent communities: Norte Grande and Santo Antnio. It is like two different villages, who share a common church. The richer people live in Norte Grande, while the poor live in Santo Antnio. People from one place don't usually marry someone from the other.

 I also found a single mother refered to as: prostitute.

The number of slaves is not significant, but there are two brothers, former slaves, that became free and one of them has descendants until today.

There is an important remark on a single mother: the child was born in Calheta and the grandfather took the baby to be baptized in Norte Grande (middle of the 1600's) to avoid public shame, because he was related to the important families of Calheta. Again social status playing an important role in the community.

 Joo Ventura
 Terceira