Message info

To:Goswin von Brederlow From:Joe Dalton Subject:Description-less Packages indices Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:38:06 +0000 (GMT)

Martin Eberhard Schauer <Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> writes:

> The changes have ill side-effects:
>- DDTP/DDTSS is partially broken (1). The Database has $(nr_of_packages)
>new entrys since 01-22 containing just the short description.
>- These (untranslated) one-liners is what one gets visiting (2), e.g. (3).
>- There are no new Translation-xx files (4).
>- In (5) there is the link why it was done: (6). IMHO one part of the
> reasoning is
>not really convincing.
>
>... and also enables non-English-speaking users (and eventually
>multi-arch enabled APT) to save on download size, as they no longer
>need to download a language that is of no use to them or is already
>there.

But I need to download binary-amd64/Packages, binary-i386/Packages,
binary-armel/Packages, binary-mipsel/Packages. That is 4 times nearly
identical sets of long descriptions. Now I only need to download the
english "translation" once.

I'm not in a position, to estimate this effect, but the change has a severe impact
on the translation effort at least for Danish and I guess that the above situation
has lasted for some time (downloading several long descriptions).

It must be possible to undone this change, until a solution for the translation

robot has been prepared.

bye
Joe
Danish