Message info

To:empath@googlegroups.com From:Suz Swanson Subject:Re: [empath- ESG: 14287] Empath 101 (3) on Depression Date:Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

Amen and thank you Gary.  I will give the Star of Bethleham another try.  My stick-to-itiveness bites.  I have had on-going depression and anxiety the majority of my life with a few clinical periods of very severe depression.  I do as much as I can with diet, exercise, nutrition, positive thinking, and alternative remedies provided I am convinced they will not interfere will my natural rhythms.  Though I was worried about the muting of my spirit I did return to prescription meds out of a level of desperation several years ago too.  The one I take is a bit newer and supposed to be beneficial for the PTSD & chronic pain as well.  I hesitate to give it the power of the word suffering, for fear of, well- that- giving it power, I guess.  In truth though, it is often, quite fitting.  There have been times since the cumulative traumas & a grand finale developed into the post trauma stress disorder that the combination of things have left me very well wondering / understanding how many end up in hospitals with a slew of medications that dominate the rest of their lives.  I've even had professionals encourage me towards meds much more severe than I need, stating that it would be okay to have an "emotional vacation".  Scarey!

*Have you studied or heard from many empaths about a propensity of developing PTSD?  It is my guess that often we are the ones who, as I've been told, are willing to go, where angels 'dare not tread', which then  may have left us in situations to encounter events fertile for trauma...let alone experiencing not only our own experiences but those around us--victims, even perpetrators.   For me, the worst event was one I know to be Evil, with a deliberate capital letter.  It seems logical...

Love & Light,

Suz

From: Gary <Xeraphax@gmail.com>
To: empath@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:49 PM
Subject: [empath- ESG: 14285] Empath 101 (3) on Depression

I'm going to do this in more bite sized pieces, so it doesn't overwhelm. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

The next sign of being an empath is clinical depression. Its the type of depression that no matter how strong your will power is, you just cant get over it and every day is a new struggle.  Having suffered from such depression for around twenty or so years, I know how hard it is. Back then, no one understood that this wasnt a normal state of affairs, and I was left feeling that this was my burden to deal with.
Clinical depression certainly isnt exclusion to empaths, but you will find that there are many empaths that suffer from it. There are several reasons for such depression, and taking anti-depressants can do more harm than good, as they tend to block the empathy, but not in a good way.
As you know, the depression you suffered from was an accumulation of shock and trauma that was built up over many, many years. If we return to the analogy of a sponge collecting toxic fluids, you will have a clear picture of what an empaths energy can be like.
The reason you cant just get over it, is the same as why you just cant clean a spill with the sponge. It has not been purged of all the negative substances that are within it.
The reason why empaths are much more susceptible to depression is because they tend to take things on a more personal level, and not only that, they try to not let things affect them, so they tend to push things that they should deal with away and ignore them.
Out of sight, though, is not quite out of mind. Until events that are traumatic are dealt with, the depression tends to remain, even many years later.
It can take many years of therapy, counselling and work on the self to heal, and some practitioners might become very rich from you, especially if they dont know what they are doing.
Fortunately for the empath, Bach Flower Remedies were developed and have been natures greatest blessing to them.
As you discovered, the Bach Flower Remedy, Star of Bethlehem can actually clear depression caused by trauma as it works to clear shock and trauma, no matter how old it is.
As there will be a section dedicated to the Bach Flower Remedies, we wont go into it too much now, except to say that many cases can be helped by this particular remedy.
So yes, being an empath will tend to make you much more vulnerable to depression.