Message info

To:everything-list@googlegroups.com From:meekerdb Subject:Re: The Brain Minds Whether We Believe in Free Will or Not Date:Mon, 07 May 2012 14:10:33 -0700

On 5/7/2012 1:57 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> On May 7, 4:28 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> You mean the indivisible unity of the three quark proton?
>>> Craig
>> First, nobody cares if you believe it, even if you're a physics graduate student. Second,
>> it's just a model and physicists everywhere are trying to invent a better one. Third,
>> it's a model that has been tested and found to work.
> I do believe it, at least as a spatial representation of what matter
> does or is at that level of microcosm.

But are you going to keep the faith when string theory comes up with a different model?

> My personal conjecture is that
> there is a progression from literal architecture to figurative
> phenomenology the further you go into the microcosmic scale, but
> that's beside the point. I was pointing quarks out as an example of
> how physics is ok with a 1=3 logic.

I know, but it's a poor analogy. It's not 1=3 logic. Many things are made of three other
things, as a proton is made of to Ups and a Down quark which can be separated - but only
by making more quarks. But that's not the same as "Three divine persons constitute one
person who is God."

> I'm not anti science, and I'm
> certainly not pro religion, but I am anti Manicheanism.

You're against a good/evil dualism, where matter is evil and mind is good?

Brent