Message info

To:\'Asa Rossoff\' From:Asa Rossoff Subject:RE: $-Macros$$ how to convert dbf III (Dos Based Fox-pro 2.5) file to CSV file Date:Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:16:41 -0700

Govind,

Correction… I seem to have been mistaken.  File, Open.  Change the file types ("Excel Files") to "dBase Files (*.dbf)".  Still an option in Excel 2010.

Then Save as, change file type to CSV.

If that import doesn't work as desired, you can try Data>Get External Data>From Other Sources.

From there there are multiple avenues that could work.

1. From Microsoft Query - use this to import using ODBC.  "dBase Files" will probably be listed as one of the ODBC data sources.

2. From Data Connection Wizard, then Other/Advanced.  The Jet 4.0 and I think Office Access Database Engine OLE DB Providers should work.

Asa

From: Asa Rossoff [mailto:asa@lovetour.info]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:44 PM
To: 'excel-macros@googlegroups.com'
Subject: RE: $$Excel-Macros$$ how to convert dbf III (Dos Based Fox-pro 2.5) file to CSV file

Hi Govind,

At last check, MS Access (if you have it) can still import and export both DBF and CSV files.

Older Excel versions (2003 and older I believe) can import/export from DBF natively.  CSV is still supported.

Also, free OpenOffice and LibreOffice have that capability.

It should be possible to do the same from VBA in Excel using ADO, but don't have the code for you.

A search turns up some converters that seem to be available for free:

http://www.alexnolan.net/software/dbf.htm - freeware

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbfconverter/ - open source

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbmt/ - open source

http://www.vlsoftware.net/exportizer/index.html - no-cost version?