Message info

To:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com From:awoelflebater Subject:[FairfieldLife] Re: One More Follow Up Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:21:14 -0000

I agree on a number of points here and am not sure about others. Certainly classical violin is not for everyone. In addition, sometimes the acoustics in certain environments become more grating and annoying than they are pleasant. Echoey tiles in a shower may be just the ticket to make a shower singer sound great but those same tiles in a subway station coupled with violin could be horrible. I wonder if more people would stop for Mantovani tunes if we are talking violins?!

I also wonder what type of music would appeal to the most people, make them pause in their hurried day? Would it depend on demographic or is there one universal sound that could appeal to a majority of those passing through? The lack of interest may not lie in uncultured taste (because it may come down to just this- taste and we know how relative that is) but in the fact that solo classical violin music does not hold some absolute value of appeal. Based on the result of this "experiment" it obviously doesn't.

I am still not sure if this little concert in a subway station says more about music or more about humans.

The Flash Mob phenomena seems to engage lots more people to the point where they participate beyond just watching. But then there is a lot more energy in sheer numbers of participants and use of space and audio volume. But we're not talking classical or rarefied in the case of Flash Mobs. But they are rather exhilarating. Does that count?
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Barry, that's what happens when I don't see something
> > until 5 years after it occurred.
>
> On the other hand, there are folks on FFL now who weren't
> there for the previous discussion.
>
> I have a number of beefs with the whole experiment. One
> of them is the choice of instrument and music. It's almost
> as if the choices were made to ensure that as few people
> as possible would be arrested by the music as they hurried
> to work. The Bach Chaconne in particular is not a piece
> that most people would instantly recognize as "beautiful"
> unless they had had considerable exposure to classical
> music. I have had such exposure, and Bach is my favorite
> composer, but I didn't begin to appreciate the Chaconne
> until I'd heard it four or five times.
>
> Nor is solo violin the easiest to appreciate, depending
> on the piece. None of those listed in the article were all
> that likely to attract ears that weren't already familiar
> with classical music.
>
> For me, the *scandale* demonstrated by the experiment is
> that so few people get an education in or much exposure
> to classical music.
>
> Most people are not aesthetes; they don't automatically
> recognize beauty in whatever form it presents itself.
> There's a certain snobbery, it seems to me, in
> basically putting down folks who aren't instantly
> responsive to beauty in a form one is accustomed to
> experiencing and appreciating by virtue of one's own
> background.
>
> I've never gone to the trouble to expose myself to and
> learn about rap music, in which some people take great
> aesthetic satisfaction; I'd be highly unlikely to stop
> to listen to a rap group, even one featuring a major rap
> star, performing in a subway station during rush hour.
> Does that make me a grind and a dullard who lacks the
> capacity to appreciate beauty? Or 12-tone music, for
> that matter, which my sister enjoys. She'd stop to
> listen to a subway performer playing a Schoenberg piece;
> I wouldn't.
>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > Ann, try not to take it personally if no one chimes in
> > > on this one. It's a fascinating story, but it is one
> > > that has come up here before, and it's been running
> > > around the Internet for almost five years now. So many
> > > may have "been there done that" with their reactions
> > > to Mr. Bell's concert and what it might mean.

To subscribe, send a message to:
FairfieldLife-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Or go to:
and click 'Join This Group!'