Message info

To:Adam W. Montville From:Waltermire, David A. Subject:Re: [sacm] First Cut at Use Case Draft Abstract Date:Thu, 29 Mar 2012 02:27:27 -0400

This makes sense to me.  I'll work on an update today to include these points.
Dave

From: Adam W. Montville [adam@stoicsecurity.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:58 AM
To: Chernin, Michael A.
Cc: Waltermire, David A.; sacm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sacm] First Cut at Use Case Draft Abstract

Aharon,

Dave, Kathleen and I had a similar discussion yesterday evening, and enabling data aggregation across tools was another point we considered.

At issue, I think, is appropriately scoping the abstract of the more complete document.  If we can include augmenting information sharing, data aggregation, and threat mitigation (as Tony points out and perhaps through system hardening/attack surface reduction), then we would have a more or less complete abstract, and could move into crafting the body of the informational document.

Thoughts?

Adam

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2012, at 8:48 PM, "Chernin, Michael A." <mchernin@dtcc.com> wrote:

Dave,

Very well written abstract. I was going to offer constructive criticism, but I was unable to find an easy way to slip these two topics into your abstract. I hope you dont mind that I lazily just throw the items out there. I feel its important that we also mention something about information sharing and the separation of tools from content. We already have security tool sales people that pitch to us and say they support the type of functionality described within the abstract using proprietary methods. In most cases senior management doesnt care if this is performed via proprietary or standardized methods (they just want it to work). But, if we start talking about owning content, information sharing of content, separation of tools from content, I believe we start speaking the language used when building the business case within private sector consumer adoption. This would hopefully motivate more consumer activity within the IETF regarding this topic as well

Aharon

DTCC Non-Confidential (White)
Michael "Aharon" Chernin
Security Automation Program Manager
Technology Risk Management -Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation