Message info

To:Jeffrey Haas From:James M. Polk Subject:Re: [83attendees] Lost money Date:Thu, 29 Mar 2012 02:15:33 -0500

At 01:59 AM 3/29/2012, Jeffrey Haas wrote:

>On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:54 PM, Andy Bierman wrote:
> > I don't want to fuel wild speculation, but some people said I
> should tell this
> > list what happened to me today.
> >
> > I was reading email in my room about 3:30pm and the doorbell rang.
> > About 3 seconds after that (before I even got up from the desk)
> > the lock was opened with a card key and a woman started to enter the room.
> > Then I said "I'm in here" and she turned around immediately,
> slammed the door
> > and left.
> >
> > The room had been cleaned in the morning so it wasn't the housekeeper.
> > Nothing from the minibar, so it wasn't somebody sent because the computer
> > told them something in the minibar needed to be replaced.
> >
> > In my experience, hotel staff ring twice and announce themselves.
> > If they find somebody in the room, they announce why they are there
> > (e.g. turn-down service) and do not run away scared when they find
> > the room occupied.
> >
> > This woman had a card key. The door was locked.
> > I told the front desk about it but did not hear back if they determined
> > whose key opened the door.
>
>1. You have a timed event. Please do us all a favor and get a
>formal answer from the hotel as to who was logged going into your
>room on that key. If they're not in the logs, then we have some
>proof that the entry is not being logged properly.
>
>2. If anyone has someone enter their room like this again, please
>grab your camera phone and take a picture of the offending
>party. They can be checked with the hotel security staff.

I think this may be a big deal. As someone else noted earlier on this
thread, when they had an existing issued room key stop working, they
complained to the front desk - and they WERE NOT ASKED FOR ID but
still supplied with a replacement key. I haven't mentioned this yet,
save to Adam, but I'm on my 3rd set of keys. Each time I complained
to a different front desk person. Each time I was NOT asked for ID to
prove I was the official occupant at the time. Each time I was given
another room key.

This fits the facts that the hotel (can) claim that no one other than
the hotel guest entered the room, as long as someone else has a guest
copy of your room key.

James