Message info

To:Federico Consoli From:Philip Levis Subject:Re: [Roll] MRHOF draft-07 comments Date:Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:06:19 +0200

On Mar 30, 2012, at 1:42 PM, Federico Consoli wrote:

> I got a question about the PARENT_SET_SIZE.
>
> "PARENT_SET_SIZE: The number of candidate parents, including the preferred parent, in the parent set."
> "candidate parents" = "candidate neighbour" or are different?

RFC 6550, 8.2.1:

RPL's Upward route discovery algorithms and processing are in terms
of three logical sets of link-local nodes. First, the candidate
neighbor set is a subset of the nodes that can be reached via link-
local multicast. The selection of this set is implementation and OF
dependent. Second, the parent set is a restricted subset of the
candidate neighbor set. Finally, the preferred parent is a member of
the parent set that is the preferred next hop in Upward routes.
Conceptually, the preferred parent is a single parent; although, it
may be a set of multiple parents if those parents are equally
preferred and have identical Rank.

> "A node MAY include up to PARENT_SET_SIZE-1 additional candidate neighbors in its parent set."
> It's a upper bound? Could a node have more than PARENT_SET_SIZE additional candidate neighbors in its parents set?

Yes: there is no MUST NOT or even a SHOULD NOT.

Phil