Message info

To:Simon Josefsson From:Dave Cridland Subject:Re: [kitten] SASL resumption? Date:Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:26:53 +0100

On Thu Apr 12 11:03:59 2012, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net> writes:
>
> > On Thu Apr 12 10:26:57 2012, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> >> 3) Rely on the secure channel resumption capabilities.
> >
> > I proposed this a few years ago, and was met with a combination of
> > mistrust and apathy, so I never bothered persuing it:
> >
> > http://tools.ietf.org/draft/draft-cridland-sasl-tls-sessions/
>
> Perhaps, as they say, the time for it has come.
>
> I'm not sure re-using EXTERNAL for this will work well in practice
> though. There are other use-cases for EXTERNAL which makes it
> difficult
> for clients and servers to know whether your draft or something
> else is
> intended. To me, EXTERNAL is difficult to deploy in any
> interoperable
> fashion. (That was the motivation for [1] btw...)

Yes, I follow your logic - I've personally found EXTERNAL to be fine,
albeit I've also found that for reliable usage one always need to
specify an authzid somehow.

The rest of your mail I entirely agree with.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net
- http://dave.cridland.net/