Message info

To:Eric V. Smith From:Brett Cannon Subject:Re: [Import-SIG] Replacement PEP for namespace packages Date:Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:34:32 -0400

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:04, Eric V. Smith <eric@trueblade.com> wrote:
On 04/09/2012 07:22 PM, Yury Selivanov wrote:

> How is it going with the PEP?

I'm reviewing the email threads from the last round of discussions,
making sure I have everything covered. I hope to have a draft early next
week.

> (The reason I'm asking is because we want to backport the accepted
> approach to 3.2 and start using it...)

Our plan is to wait until Brett merges importlib as the default import
mechanism, so that we can work entirely (or at least mostly) in Python.

That should be happening soon. Keep an eye on python-dev for an email about it once the patch lands (have one more thing to work out in default and then use in my branch before it can land).

Any port to 3.2 is going to be an entirely separate effort, all in C.
But I support it!

I don't think it necessarily has to be that way. If you either use your own importer or override builtins.__import__ with importlib.__import__ and tweak some things under the hood you can actually match behaviour at a roughly 5% import performance cost compared to what 3.3 will have for import.

-Brett

Eric.