Message info

To:STARK, BARBARA H From:Brzozowski, John Subject:Re: [v6ops] 6rd sunsetting requirements (version 3) Date:Mon, 7 May 2012 21:04:32 +0000

Barbara,

My original email pertained to the following:

6RD-6: The CE router MUST allow different as well as identical delegated prefixes to be configured via each (6rd or native) WAN interface.

From someone who has not adopted 6rd, has no plans to, but has used the same for trial this seems like it could add complexity.

John
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable
m) +1-609-377-6594
e) mailto:john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com
o) +1-484-962-0060

From: Barbara Stark <bs7652@att.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:00:03 +0000
To: John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com>, Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [v6ops] 6rd sunsetting requirements (version 3)

Im not clear as to which of the two options youre asking about. But its moot; the options are not for 6rd deployment models. Theyre for 6rd to native IPv6 transition models. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has deployed either such transition. I would guess that transition is far enough out that both options are being assessed to determine which has the lesser operational complexity. Operational complexity includes the amount of network coordination needed, complexity of network element software, as well as the potential call volume if customers find the transition to be noticeable. I dont think operational complexity of either option has been fully determined yet.

But we might be able to influence an answer to the operational complexity question, by not including support for one or the other option in the CE router. Based, hopefully, on what is easier for the CE router.

Barbara

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 20:43:19 +0200
To: John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>

It is a requirement that allows a choice.

- Mark

On May 7, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Brzozowski, John wrote:

Is the below really a requirement or a deployment choice that an operator must individually manage?

John

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:17:51 +0200
To: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>